Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book binding is fun!

I did some book binding back when I was undergrad, taking all different art studio classes. In fact, fibers was one of my favorite courses while earning my Fine Arts degree. Thats when I learned how to hand felt things, and make handmade paper, and some book binding. (oh, man that was over 13 years ago!!!! ) Doesnt feel that long ago.



Now I have my own business, designing and hand making all my own books for the wedding photo albums featured in http://artistmadealbums.com/ and I really enjoy making them. There are many different stages to making a book, the first part is cutting the book board, measuring is extremely important so that everything lines up right. If the parts and pieces don't fit together, then you can't make the book. After measuring and cutting everything, you piece it together using linen tape, next you drill the hole where the screw posts go on both the front and back sides of the book. Next measure and cut the book cloth to cover the board, this not only gives it the main color and texture but makes it more endurable. Glue the book cloth down, and make sure everything lines up right. Lastly measure and glue your choice of decorative paper on the inside cover of front and back. And you are done!!!!

The thing I like the most about the screw post way of book binding, is that you can take it apart, by undoing the screws if you need to add more pages to the photo album. I think this is extremely valuable since alot of times you can always find more pictures to include, that way your album can continue growing and evolving!

No comments:

Post a Comment