Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I -Ching Feltings

For those of you who have seen my etsy shop, http://www.etsy.com/shop/creationsbykathryn?section_id=6721545 have a bunch of feltings that I am doing as part of a series (also see previous entry feltings-a-day) for an upcoming show the artclash is putting on fun-a-day.

This series is called, I-Ching feltings, because I used the anicent Chinese "Book of Change" I-Ching oracle to inspire my artwork for that particular day.

So each day for the entire month of Jan, I asked a question, any questions -whatever was on my mind that particular day, " What does today have in store for me?" or "What should I be focusing on? What's the best way to handle...." etc. I asked the question (recorded it in a small notebook) then tossed 3 coins, recorded the pattern with a line, either broken or solid- the broken lines represent yin energy, the solid yang energy, the coins get tossed 6 times giving you a pattern that includes 6 lines, which correspond to a symbol represented in the I-Ching, a description can then be read of what the "answer" to your question is. I have found that the answer or descriptions tend to give general advice or things to consider, not totally a clear cut answer. Occasionally the wording used was very relevant and surprisingly helpful for the question that was being asked.


If you'd like to try it yourself, asking a question, I've found this online version:


After receiving my answer , the symbol, reading the description, I created a felting inspired by the reading.

Once the felting was complete, I cut out colored felt in the pattern of the symbol and hand sow it onto the felting.


No comments:

Post a Comment